Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sample Sale Experience

Last night, at the invitation of Mexx (for whom I do a lot of work), we went to a Mexx Sample Sale event in Roosendaal to buy ourselves some brand clothing for little money. Well, that's what it's all about. You get into a huge warehouse with lots of clothes and other stuff hanging around, and you just go and grab what you like. You pay 3 to 10 times less than what you'd pay in a regular shop. That's a real bargain.

This event is organized once a year, and we almost always go there. I always go there with mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's a great opportunity to buy some good clothes for almost nothing (especially for Luda). On the other hand, I always sense something wrong hanging in the air. It must be a spirit of raw consumerism and greed, with people running around grabbing stuff, filling their plastic bags to the fullest. Suddenly it looks like everyone is loosing their reserve and their manners. What matters is that you get what you want.

I wonder how much money people spend on a sale like this. Judging by the size of their bags, it must definitely go into several hundreds. Yesterday I spent 50 Euro, buying myself a pair of shorts (my old one are completely worn out), two pairs of socks, and two sport jackets. Luda spent another 150 Euro, but she seems to have bought a lot of stuff (also some for my mother). The best piece she bought was a black leather jacket, downpriced from 299 to 50 Euro. That was a good deal!

It was funny to experience the raw consumerism at such a close range. It leaves a dead feeling inside of me, but it has its place in our society. The trick is not to get swept by it. Once a year should be enough. Happily, the sample sale only happens once a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment