Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Film: Waltz with Bashir

A friend recommended watching this 1.5-hour-long animation film. It is an Israeli production about the Israeli army's incursion into Lebanon in 1982, amidst the harrowing civil war between various religious and political factions in that country.

Based on a true story, the film is written and directed by Ari Folman, who himself took part in those events as a 19-year-old and who plays himself in the film. Most of the other characters are also played by the real people they represent, which makes the film even more powerful.

The film is very well done, and is probably the best animation I've ever seen. But I usually pay little attention to the presentation, as my mind primarily focuses on the message of a work of art.

This animation film moved me deeply, bringing me to tears, as I watched the fear and suffering of both the (former) Israeli soldiers and the Palestinian refuges. Many years after the conflict, the former soldiers still have visions and are desperately looking for answers to make sense of what had happened there.

A great thing about this film is that it is not black and white (figuratively speaking). It depicts the good and the bad, the human and inhuman in people. Anyone of us could find ourselves in a similar situation, and I just hope that we will act with humanity and compassion, and not with cruelty and indifference.

Please, watch this film if you have a chance. I am sure you'd also be deeply moved by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment