Thursday, April 26, 2012

Life is beautiful!

Last week was again full of life! Apart from work, which I enjoy very much these days, I did a lot of interesting stuff:

Monday: 1 hour of spinning lesson and 45 minutes of strength exercies

Tuesday: DevNight at Delta-N about Windows Azure cloud application platform

Wednesday: My Russian friends Konstantin and Sergey came over. We had a great sushi meal, and then talked a lot about programming, so that they left at midnight! It was a very enjoyable eveing!

Thursday: The book club at our local library. We talked about "Het Diner" by Herman Koch. A masterly written novel with a great plot, but, in my opinion, still lacking the depth of the Russian classics. The club was led by journalist Dolf Dukker, who did it very well. His theory why this book becase a best seller, contrary to other Koch's book is that it combines the 4 essential elements of human nature: food, territory, procreation and one other that I forgot. We had a great discussion, and the time flew! The next book is "Two Caravans" in June.

Friday:  Went with Anne Sophie to the Ridvan celebratioin in The Hague. Anne Sophie mad herself at home and played with many different people. But she was dead tired when we got home.

Saturday: First a great workout, then shopping, and then I spent the whole evening playing with the kids on the playground opposite our house. And there they were: my Belarusian-Ukrainian-Jewish daughter, a Moroccan girl, a Hindustan girl, 3 Dutch kids and another boy (I'm not ever sure of his origins), all playing together having fun, oblivious of any ethnic or age differences. We played tag and charades and even danced (they asked me to bring some music, so I brought a portable radio receiver). I often take part in their games, because my daughter is still too small to play unattended. But it also creates a fine feeling of community as I'm getting to better know the people in the neighbourhood (both kids and adults).

Sunday: Cleaned and washed the car, then a spinning workout. Then off to Amsterdam to meet an old Oslo University friend from Lithuania, Sarunas, who was visiting Amsterdam for a weekend. We talked a lot (as did Anne Sophie) and enjoyed a nice lunch at the Vondel park, after which I took them to the airport. Then we went to Lena's birthday in Leiden, ate some good food, talked and played some games with our Russian-speaking friends.

And now a brief summary of my sporting stats:
- 3 home-to-work commutes
- 6 hours of fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment